Organized Charm: Tips for Student Teaching

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Tips for Student Teaching

I recently received an email from a super sweet teaching student, who just happens to attend the same school I went to! She is starting her student teaching this Fall and looking for tips! 

Any tips for those of us going into Junior semester 2 that will start student teaching in the fall?

Well... of course I have advice for that! Here it is :) 


Have a Good Relationship with Your Mentor Teacher
First of all, keep in mind that you may or may not have a great relationship with your mentor teacher. It's kind of a tricky situation from both sides. You're coming into a classroom that he/she has probably worked in for years. Your mentor teacher has a preferred style of teaching, disciplining, routines/systems, classroom management, parent communication, etc. You'll have your own ideas about classroom management, the kinds of lessons you want to do etc. 

Listen to your mentor teacher, watch what they do (especially when it comes to classroom management). You'll learn so much more from him/her than you do in class! But keep in mind that it's probably been a while since he/she was in college. You'll have new, fresh, innovative ideas based on the most current research, so you're a valuable resource to your mentor teacher, too! It's all about balance, respect, communication, and having a good relationship :)



Focus on Classroom Management
Speaking of classroom management, that will probably be your biggest challenge, especially if you're student teaching in a public school. It can be hard. You will probably cry a few times, and that's ok! I would definitely, DEFINITELY recommend this website: Smart Classroom Management. Just go to it and read as many posts as you can! Also, pick up the book Teach Like a Champion, and start with the chapters on classroom management. I'm about to start my 8th year of teaching, and I still read/reread it frequently! 

Also, this post may help you once you're in the trenches of the semester: Encouragement for First Year Teachers


Balance Your Time
Organized Charm is a great resource for you (and I'm not just saying that!), particularly the "Studying" section. I wrote it while I was in grad school and student teaching or teaching full time. Every system that I used was designed to keep me on the right track between my education, professional life, and personal life. I wrote every post based on what worked for me so that others could benefit from my trial and error! 


from @mrshenryinfirst
Become Part of the Instagram Teacher Community
Now that I'm out of school, I'm focusing my attention on sharing routines/systems, etc. that have helped me stay organized in the classroom! I will be adding more to the "Teaching" section of OC! I also started a teaching Instagram @organizedcharm, if you want to check out those things! :) 




Take Risks and Have Fun!
Most importantly, this is your time to figure out what you like/don't like. What works/doesn't work in the classroom. Get to know your students. Enjoy every minute! December will be here before you know it and you'll miss those kids like crazy when you finish your semester! 


Do you have any advice for student teachers? Or do you have advice for anyone preparing to have a student teacher in his/her classroom? Add your advice in the comments below! 

6 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I want to appreciate the level of research you did. these blog are really helpful for teacher, my friend Rebecca Antinozzi she is also teacher i will share this blog with him. and thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend doctor razor herbal medicine to anyone battling with Herpes Infection...I am so happy to be finally cured of herpes simplex virus  by herbalist Razor,Ever since i was diagnosed with the virus i have been using medical drugs to suppress it, i later realized it was causing more damage to my health than the virus,i opted for herbs and got to find out about the great work herbalist Doctor razor have been doing with his herbal remedy. i contacted him and he promised to help me get rid of it,after 4 days i received a package from the delivery service and it was from the doctor who sent me the herbal treatment in Dallas,Texas USA, And he instructed me on how i was going to take it for the 18 days. After completing the dosage he told me to go for a medical checkup and when I did the doctors conducted some tests on me but they were stunned that my status was now negative,they conducted several tests on me to be sure. I even went to Medical City Dallas Hospital, where they conducted another test and it was still negative. I am so grateful to you herbal doctor razor , God will continue to prosper you,I pray the world gets to know about you and your herbal exploits. Reach him on his email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Whatsapp/Call his cell phone on +2349065420442. PLEASE SHARE , SO THE WORLD CAN GET TO KNOW ABOUT HIM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend doctor razor herbal medicine to anyone battling with Herpes Infection...I am so happy to be finally cured of herpes simplex virus  by herbalist Razor,Ever since i was diagnosed with the virus i have been using medical drugs to suppress it, i later realized it was causing more damage to my health than the virus,i opted for herbs and got to find out about the great work herbalist Doctor razor have been doing with his herbal remedy. i contacted him and he promised to help me get rid of it,after 4 days i received a package from the delivery service and it was from the doctor who sent me the herbal treatment in Dallas,Texas USA, And he instructed me on how i was going to take it for the 18 days. After completing the dosage he told me to go for a medical checkup and when I did the doctors conducted some tests on me but they were stunned that my status was now negative,they conducted several tests on me to be sure. I even went to Medical City Dallas Hospital, where they conducted another test and it was still negative. I am so grateful to you herbal doctor razor , God will continue to prosper you,I pray the world gets to know about you and your herbal exploits. Reach him on his email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Whatsapp/Call his cell phone on +2349065420442. PLEASE SHARE , SO THE WORLD CAN GET TO KNOW ABOUT HIM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to thank Ultimate Life Clinic for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can reach them through there website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Within a few days my results were back and my diagnosis confirmed.... I had HSV2. I felt angry and betrayed because he had not been honest with me and I had a feeling that he knew he had it based on how he responded when I gave him the news.Fast forward to a year down the track and I finally broke free of my drug addiction and my extremely toxic relationship, but I felt tainted and overwhelmed now more than ever by this condition. So I sucked it up and decided I would not live like this - despite every person I talked to about it saying that herpes was incurable, once you had it you had it for the rest of your life, blah blah blah. I knew this was bullshit. Deep down I trusted my body and I wasn't about to let anyone tell me what was and was not possible for me to achieve once I set my mind to it. I placed an order on Herbalist RAZOR Herbal Medicine for Curing the virus Through His YouTube Channel @ HERBALIST RAZOR and it worked the magic, Herbalist RAZOR is a Godsent to mankind, Visit his website : https://herbalistrazorherb.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome . Email Herbalist RAZOR via herbalistrazorherbalhome@gmail.com WhatsApp/Call directly via +2349065420442.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...