Organized Charm: 10 Things I Learned from My Mom

Sunday, May 11, 2014

10 Things I Learned from My Mom


In honor of Mother’s Day, I am writing a post that is all about my mommy! She is one of my favorite people in the whole world and my husband and I call her Kiki (yes, as in Let’s Have a Kiki… which is practically her theme song). 


She always encourages me to step out of my safe and orderly little OCD comfort zone. She has made me enter spelling bees, parasail, snorkel, and climb to the top of a volcano. 

She has made me eat things I didn't want to eat, go places I didn't want to go, and learn things I didn't want to learn (like Latin!). 

She has made me laugh, made me cry, made me think, made me yell, made me want to run away from home, and made me never want to leave home. 









She's not a regular mom, but she's not a "cool mom" either. She's an adventurous mom, an educating mom, a fun mom, a quirky mom, and a silly mom. 

She is a mess of contradictions... She advises, she complains, she encourages, she cries, she jokes, she cusses, she prays, she day drinks, she meditates... 

But they all just seem to blend together to make her into one perfectly awesome human being. She is brutally honest yet full of southern hospitality. She is funny, helpful, loving, smart, witty and just an all-around interesting person!










She writes a "fresh start" blog: Restoration Spring

She runs a snarky Twitter account:

She volunteers at an art museum, keeps bees, gardens, goes to Italian film festivals, teaches, travels, does yoga... And she does it all with only one calendar! 










Not only is she almost *completely* responsible for my education (I was one if those weird homeschooled kids) but she has also taught me some pretty valuable life lessons along the way, too!

And here are some of my favorites: 

One: Being spontaneous is only important if you want to ENJOY your life. 

Two: Even if the worst thing you could possibly imagine happens to you, you will still be OK. 

Three: If something scares you, then it's probably worth doing. 

Four: Just because your family is crazy, doesn't mean that you will turn out (that) crazy. 

Five: Learning about something that interests you is more important than getting good grades in something that bores you. 

Six: There is no weakness in forgiveness.

Seven: Traveling is never a waste of money; it's an investment in your life. 

Eight: Your education shouldn't stop when you graduate; it's a lifelong process. 

Nine: You decide what your life will look like; you are not a victim of your circumstances, experiences, or anything else unless you choose to be. 

Ten: You only get old when you let yourself stop learning new things.  









When I grow up, I think I want to be just like her :) 

Happy Mother's Day to my Kiki!

What are some of your favorite things that you've learned from your mom (or aunt or big sister or favorite teacher or grandmother)? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...