Organized Charm: Guest Post: Jumpstart Your Day in 15 Minutes!

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Guest Post: Jumpstart Your Day in 15 Minutes!


Mornings are tough. Can I get an Amen? But they're also a completely undeniable part of adult life (and college life. Sorry.) so ANYTIME that I hear some good advice on how to get going in the mornings, I listen intently! Recently, Kiki (aka my mom) shared her routine.

( Learn more about her and her crazy ways here: 10 Things I Learned from My Mom )

As she rambled through this routine while we sipped mimosas on Beale before a Memphis Tiger game, I was so impressed with just how much of a habit this was for her. She didn't once have to stop to think about what came next. 

This was so much a part of her daily life that she almost seemed bored as she explained it to me. So, now she's here to share it with you! Take what you can from it, adapt it to work for you and your morning and start trying to build your own morning habit!  

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

By Michelle, Pen & Hive

You know how your morning gets away from you and by the time you get to school or work or the kids wake up it's just on for the rest of the day? Well, a few years ago I created a solution for that. It's a 15 minute morning routine that helps me feel that no matter what else happens I've done some really good stuff for myself before I even sit down for coffee. 


The reason for this little routine is that just as bad things like smoking or drinking diet soda are bad for you over time (the key word is cumulative) good things in small doses over a long period are also going to pay off.


Here's the 15 minute breakdown:



- I have dogs so the minute my feet hit the floor I go into the kitchen and feed them.


- While they eat I brush my teeth, wash my face, and moisturize. Use a moisturizer with a sunscreen. 30 years from now you'll be so glad you did!


- Back to the kitchen to let them out, then I drink 16 oz.of filtered water and take my daily vitamins.


- I start the coffee maker (doing it before now or having it ready when I get up means I might skip the next step).


- While the coffee is brewing (notice I set myself up to be hanging around waiting for the coffee) I do a 7 minute yoga/stretch routine that I've developed over the years. The point of it is to stretch out all the big muscle groups and flood my body with oxygen which helps me wake up.


- While stretching and breathing I do not think about my day. I take deep breaths and think how grateful I am that I can move. 


- Now the coffee is done. I let the dogs in, pour my coffee and head to a cozy chair to work a quick crossword puzzle to wake up my brain and read something spiritual to get centered for the day. 


- I don't finish the puzzle or the reading within the 15 minutes but the point is to get there. Once you are there with your coffee or tea and a few quiet minutes to yourself you can spend as much or as little time as you need. 

(You can also use this time to pray, meditate, say your affirmations or whatever makes you feel centered.)


By the time you finish your coffee or tea you are hydrated, oxygenated, energized, and ready to face your day! 


I do this every single day.  A couple of years ago I got a chance to test it during a difficult time. Because it was a habit I did this routine on autopilot once I got up. Some days hold exciting and fun things you look forward to. You'll be in a better frame of mind to enjoy them if you jump-start your day. Make your routine a habit and all you have to do is put your feet on the floor. Then you find yourself doing the next thing and the next thing and so on.


You may not be able to face your whole day but you can face the first 15 minutes. It's much easier if you have a plan in place. After this you are ready to go about your morning by having breakfast, checking your calendar, and getting ready. And just preparing to be fabulous and amazing for the rest of the day!



Do you have a morning routine? Have you developed a way to feel focused (instead of flustered) in the mornings? If you’re having trouble getting started in the mornings, do you think that any of these tips could help YOU?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...