Organized Charm: How to Get More Done Everyday

Sunday, December 14, 2014

How to Get More Done Everyday



There are a lot of things to like about the month of December. Christmas, for example. And Christmas music. And Christmas lights... and stockings and... SANTA! But if I had to choose one December thing that I could do without, it would be the cold weather!

Cold weather and I do not get along. And neither do I and these ridiculously short days... I need sunlight! And warm weather! And to be able to walk outside without putting on every piece of clothing I own. *sigh*

Ever since the November weather took a turn for the freezing (literally, I've already seen ice), my productivity has taken a turn for the nonexistent. Well, that just isn't going to work for me. I need a plan to get my life together, no matter what excuses I may make for myself (and believe me, I am never at a loss for a good excuse)! 

The Plan:


1. Write down everything that happens in your normal daily routine.

WHY: From the time you wake up, you have different little routines throughout the day. A morning routine, an after work routine, a dinner routine. And just because they are “routines” does not mean that they are GOOD ones! For example, I used to have a really *horrible* after work routine of putting my stuff down to “put away later” and spending about an hour on Facebook/Instagram/Pinterest. Once I wrote it down and realized how much time I was WASTING, I was able to clean that up real quick!

HOW: I don't know anyone who feels like they "have enough time"... you know what I mean? Like, everyone feels overwhelmed by the amount of things to do in the amount of time they "have". However, actually writing down your daily routines can really help you find out just why it is that you never have enough time. In this really amazing article by Personal Organizing Expert, Elizabeth Larkin, she discusses how she discovered imbalances in her own time management and the steps she took to fix them!


2. Highlight the unnecessary/useless activities. 


WHY: So, in the above example, my unnecessary activities were obviously all of the time I was spending on social media. And I love social media. But it is the ultimate time waster! Because I feel the need to schedule everything in my life, I created a sort of social media schedule for myself where I don’t get on it between certain hours. This has really been super helpful for breaking my bad routine! Set some rules for yourself to break your own bad habits. After all, no one knows you better than you do!

HOW: You know that saying that hindsight is 20/20 (or 50/50 in Cam Newton's case)? Well, when you look back at how you spent your day, that hindsight really kicks in. "WHAT? How could I have possibly spent 30 minutes staring blankly into my closet before deciding to wear?" And don't even get me started on Facebook/Instagram/Pinterest/Tumblr./Twitter... holy cow! Mark up that paper where you wrote your daily routine as if you're grading the worst paper ever written. Be harsh on yourself. This is how you're gonna get some of your time back!

(here's an awesome post on 15 sneaky time-wasters we all deal with!)


3. Create a list of things you would have liked to get done or would like to add. 


WHY: Oh, you're not done with that hindsight yet! Now make a little list of things that you wish you had gotten done! By the way, this is a big part of procrastination, too! Yep, we put off things that would be pretty simple to complete just because we don't want to. A perfect example from my life is calling the dentist. Y'all. I recently put off scheduling a dentist appoint for 2 months. I mean, I just put off making the call to schedule the appointment. Do you have something like that that just gets moved from list to list? Tell yourself tomorrow is the day you call the dentist (or whatever).

HOW: So, once you are aware of where your time is being wasted, go ahead and make a little list of PRODUCTIVE things that you would like to use that newly found time for! You could probably get 3 days' worth of to-do's done in 1 day, if you really tried! Think about your long-term to-do's. Do you need to e-mail your advisor about something? Send a resume out somewhere? Sign up for yoga classes again? Or get your oil changed? ...or call the dentist? Look at that list of tedious, totally procrastination-worthy tasks and get ready to kick its butt!

(you know I love tips on how to make a great to-do list and this post from LifeHacker is perrrrfect!)


4. Tomorrow, try to replace one useless activity with one useful one. 


WHY: Baby steps. I am a big, big fan of baby steps, aren't you? Like, maybe if I just skip the 3 minutes that I would spend taking one of those ridiculous Facebook quizzes that I love so much (according to said Facebook quiz results: the city I "belong" in is San Francisco... the state I "belong" in is Virginia... the country I "belong" in is Italy, by the way. However, that geography has been a little hindering, so I'm still here in Memphis). Anyway, taking baby steps like replacing one activity with another is simple and it will help us slowly build better habits for the future!

HOW: Beginning tomorrow, just replace one of those ineffective activities with something useful and productive! This way it’s not completely impossible feeling… it’s just one little thing! Most people perform cognitive tasks best between the hours of 9 and 11 AM. That's the optimal time for "working", so tell yourself this: Absolutely NO social media (or whatever your vice is) between those hours. Use them solely for producing the thing that you are supposed to produce! Not even a little tweet. That newsfeed will be there after you complete your to-do list! <-- my daily mantra.

(Tiny Buddah has a great post on taking baby steps to achieve your goals, here!)


5. Keep sneaking the productive activities in (one a day) until they become habits!


WHY: This is effective because it allows you to build your confidence in your productivity and keep setting goals to get better. We all fall into bad habits... even the most organized, productive person you can think of is at risk for a bad habit or two. So, we just have to keep working hard to get better and better each day!

HOW: As you move through the days, try to keep replacing that useless time with something productive! Not only will you accomplish more each day, but you’ll feel less rushed while doing it! It’s a total win-win! What if you just look at the weather and pick out an outfit the night before? Would that save some valuable time in the morning? Or even planning out meals so that you aren't spending 30 minutes binge eating on everything in sight the moment you get home from work? (totally not an example from my real life at all...)



Hopefully, this will {at least} get us moving in the right direction for some MORE PRODUCTIVE HOLIDAYS!!! YAY! :)



What are some tips for productivity that you have? Or something that you would like to start doing? And how do you deal with the loss of our dear Daylight Savings Time? 

20 comments:

  1. You are very articulate and explain your ideas and opinions clearly leaving no room for miscommunication.
    Akshi Engineers Pvt. Ltd. Company offer a wide range of Automatic Bending Machine Manufacturers in India. These are highly appreciated for automatic control part, stable property, high precision, cost effective and reliable performance. Our wide range of machine is especially designed for high volume production and produces wrinkle free, clean and repetitive bend pipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really an amazing article. Thanks a lot for sharing a piece of wonderful information keep it up and best of luck for your future article and posts. Contact us today for the Best proofreading services australia at a very affordable price. Hire native seasoned experts buy assignment online at very affordable prices. We are the most reliable engineering assignment help australia helpers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made many plans and among them I have done my achievement and I have started a new plan now to Got more than every day for my assignment.that is Where Can I Buy an Essay Online ho to get more and i love babe step than you can achieve a big plane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nowadays, Vedic Astrology calculators are the most trusted and widely used software that can help different individuals in different aspects of life. But sometimes, you find it challenging to find a Vedic calculator that can give you accurate details. So, from www.vinaybajrangi.com, you can use several calculators like Kaal Sarpa Dosha Calculator and mangal dosha calculator to get your answers as per Vedic Astrology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ATT is the wor s your data from unwanted people and viruses. If you are an ATT user, and, while using an ATT email account, you are troubled by ATT Email Login issues. You don't need to worry, in this case, you just need to dial our ATT customer care number and they will provide accurate solutions regarding your problems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing Post. Thanks for sharing this information with us. Keep sharing again.
    If you are searching for Places To Visit In Kedarnath then you do not need to get worried anymore. Kedarnath has many wonderful tourist attractions where visitors can spend their free time. You can check the list of all Kedarnath sightseeing below and plan your trip properly. Explore the hidden jewels of Kedarnath with this well-researched list, and know about the most exciting places, things to do, and popular picnic areas for an amazing vacation in Kedarnath.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welldone Information. Thanks for sharing with us. keep sharing again.
    Are you looking solution for Loopers Manufacturers, Suppliers, Exporters in India? We have a great option for you. We provide an absolute solution at a reasonable price. Our experienced engineers developed utilized components for Steel Rolling Mill. For Get more details, pls you may visit our website and if you want to directly connect to our experts then you may dial our toll-free number and talk to our technical expertise and can find the best solution for Steel Rolling Mill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Understand How Do I Recover My Cash App Funds By Referring To The Right Source
    Are you not able to understand How Do I Recover My Cash App Funds so that you can apply for a refund to get your money back to your Cash App account wallet? In such a case, you have to simply have a candid discussion with the professionals who will suggest you the right information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing this excellent knowledge with us and here is some information for all traveler. Many people face the problem while canceling their flight ticket then you can follow the Brussels airlines cancellation policy and Brussels Airlines Refund Policy for further references. Brussels Airline has provided its next cancellation option. With a professional approach and hassle-free cancellation, this way is widely opted by passengers all around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am Joseph Morgan, and I am currently working as a travel agent. I help travelers in planning and organizing trips to the world’s beautiful destinations. Moreover, I have ties with many certified airlines whose teams discuss with clients and learn about their travel requirements. You can directly contact me and seek additional assistance while booking trips and other airfare services. I will help you find the low-fare tickets and plan a trip under an estimated travel budget.

    See more: southwest customer service
    American Airlines Change Flight
    Air Canada Change Flight
    Air France Change Flight

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your article. It was interesting and informative.Here I also want to suggest your reader who usually travels one place to another they must visit Airlines Gethuman that offer best deals to book your seat on Delta Airlines Reservations. So do hurry and avail the best deals and get rid of to check different websites for offers.
    Lufthansa manage flight

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your article. It was interesting and informative ideas in this blog. Here I also want to suggest your reader who usually travels one place to another they must visit the Jetblue airline official site that offer best deals to book your JetBlue best fares finder seat today. So do hurry up and avail the best deals and get rid of to check different websites for offers jetblue international flights.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For pro conveniences, recreation, and prevalent administrations, you won't see as anyplace other than Delta Airlines First Class. You'll encounter Sky Priority administration all through your outing. Furthermore, there are different advantages that won't stop all things considered.

    So if you want guaranteed airline discount on tickets for Delta Airlines First Class please visit our site
    "Delta Airlines First Class " or call us at 1-855-915-0936

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here , I Have share some information to user,
    process to get seat on American airlinesAmerican Airlines seat selection

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here is the detail about Lily Bowman Net Worth, Biography, Age, Career, Height, Affairs, and much more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...